FREE, Booking essential.
Research appointments are available on Thursdays, Fridays and Saturdays. 10.30-13.30 or 14.00-17.00. Please email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Our reference library is ready to welcome researchers back safely. We’ve put changes in place so that you can enjoy a safe and relaxed visit.
BALTIC Library is a specialist collection of contemporary art and visual culture. There are over 12,000 books which you can browse online before your visit on balticplus.uk.
We have reconfigured BALTIC Library to provide 2 socially distanced research areas that are thoroughly cleaned between bookings. Booking slots are for 10.30-13.30 or 14.00-17.00.
Free public wifi is available in BALTIC Library, you can connect to on your own device or we have 2 iMacs available for searching the online catalogue. There is also a photocopier/scanner available. Gloves and sanitizer wipes will be available to Library visitors for use when handling shared equipment.
When you book an appointment to visit the Library please specify what books you want to view or your areas of interest. You can browse the online catalogue here. Books will be retrieved for you and quarantined for 72hrs prior to your visit (or retrieved wearing gloves). If you do want to browse the shelves for your own books please wear the gloves that are provided to make your selections.
You are welcome to handle the books that you have selected without gloves but these must be placed into the quarantine boxes after use and NOT put back on the shelves. Books will be quarantined for 72hrs before returning to the shelves.
At present, appointments are only available to individual researchers or up to 3 individuals in a study group bubble. If you have an enquiry about an educational group booking please email email@example.com to discuss options.
We are asking all visitors to wear a face covering when visiting BALTIC Library. Face coverings are mandatory for all visitors except those with health and breathing issues, and children under the age of 11, in line with government guidelines.
General Library User Information and Guidelines
- Under 16’s must be supervised by an adult.
- BALTIC Library is reference only, this means that the books or magazines can’t be borrowed or taken from the Library space.
- You can search and browse for books using our online catalogue: balticplus.uk. Within each book record there’s a shelf location, which tells you where in the Library the book is located.
- There are lists of the categories and subjects on the wall and on top of the shelves to help you find your way around the Library.
- If you would like to access magazines or other material in BALTIC’s Archive collection please make this request at least 72hrs in advance by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org
- We do not permit food or hot drinks in the Library – drinks from bottles with secured lids are fine.
- Library users are welcome to use BALTIC’s free wifi or access the Internet using the Library computers. Please be aware that Internet use is monitored and we reserve the right to ask anyone to leave if they are viewing inappropriate content.
- Do not download or transfer any personal data or images to the Library computers. Use of flash drives, memory sticks and cards is restricted in line with our responsibility towards your data protection.
- Do not leave any of your belongings unattended in the Library.
What about masks? I’m staying in the Library, do I still need to wear a mask?
Definitely. We are asking all visitors to wear a face covering when visiting BALTIC. Face coverings are mandatory for all visitors except those with health and breathing issues, and children under the age of 11, in line with government guidelines. If you accidentally arrive without one, we have disposable masks to give you. When worn correctly, masks go over your mouth AND nose. Whilst masks are mandatory in public buildings like BALTIC, not everyone can wear one. There are a number of reasons why people are unable to wear masks and they aren’t all visible. We recognise and support this and ask you to do the same.
I want to visit the rest of BALTIC too. Is that included in this booking or not?
No. We’d love you to visit the rest of BALTIC and ask that you book a separate time slot to visit the galleries here. This helps us control the total number of visitors at any one time and ensure that everyone’s visits are as safe and comfortable as possible.
If your gallery booking time runs consecutively to your Library booking you don’t need to be re-checked in and can proceed with your visit from Level 2. Please be aware a member of our Crew team might query your onward booking with you; please know that they’re there to help.
I want to use the Learning Lounge too. Can I?
No, not with this booking. If you’d like to use the Learning Lounge then we ask that you book a separate time slot here. This helps us control the total number of visitors at any one time and ensure that everyone’s visits are as safe and comfortable as possible.
Please be aware that you cannot book to attend the Library and Learning Lounge at the same time. We want to reduce unnecessary movement as much as possible and bubbles moving frequently between the Library and their Learning Lounge Zone makes this more challenging. Your cooperation is hugely appreciated.