How to enter
• Online applications via Submittable. Please follow this link.
• It is free to register and submit a work for consideration by the panel.
• FAQs on the Submittable website can be found here.
• Please refer to the guidelines below before entering a work.
• The panel can only consider one entry per person/group
• You can also enter by post. Follow the steps below for postal entries below under the Access section.
• Anybody is eligible to enter. You do not need have a formal arts education, or have displayed your work in public before.
• You must be based in the North East of England (those residing in the following postcodes are eligible: NE, DL, DH, SR, TS and TD codes in NE England).
• All media is eligible for submission, examples could include; painting, drawing, sculpture, film, tapestry, photography.
• Please note we are only able to receive documentation of live performance. Any moving image work will be played on a looped programme and are unable to have an individual dedicated screen.
• Works up to specified size limit of 100 x 100cm for wall-based works (100cm on the longest side for 3D works).
• The total weight of wall-based work must be no more than 10kg when packed.
• The total weight of 3D works must be no more than 50kg when packed.
• BALTIC cannot accept works that contain noxious or toxic substances, have flammability below 50°C, contain human tissue, or incorporate dangerous electrical appliances.
• BALTIC stands to denounce racism in all its forms and will not accept any works that communicates any form of racism. For further information please see here.
• Confirmed participants will be notified by 20 September 2020. Due to the expected high volume of applications, we are unable to offer individual feedback if unsuccessful. If your work is selected, you will receive further communication.
- 26 June: Submission process open
- 17 August: Last day to submit your work
- 20 September: All successful submissions contacted
- 14–27 October: Receiving the works selected for the exhibition at BALTIC 39. This will be explained in further detail to each participant closer to the time.
- November 2020 – January 2021: Exhibition open to the public
• Should you have further access needs to make an application not accounted for in this online application process please contact BALTIC on 0191 440 4943. Please leave a voicemail message and a member of BALTIC staff will return your call.
You can also make an entry by post. Please DO NOT send original artwork, we are unable to include original artwork in our selection process. Only images of work will be accepted. Postal entries can be received until 17 August 2020.
Maximum 2 sheets of A4 paper. Please include your contact details including:
- Your name
- Postal address
- Email and/or phone number (if available)
- A short statement about your work (maximum 150 words) For example this could be why you made the work or what ideas you had when you were making the work.
- Up to 3 images of the work you are submitting to be considered by the panel for selection in the exhibition at BALTIC 39.
Please note the work you are submitting here, has to be the same work available for the exhibition at BALTIC 39 in November 2020.
Please send to:
BALTIC Open Submission 2020
FAO Katie Hickman
31-39 High Bridge
Newcastle Upon Tyne
• Framed and glazed wall-based works will be fitted with appropriate hanging methods, if not supplied by the artist permission is granted to BALTIC to modify with additional hanging methods or replace any original hanging methods if not suitable.
• If you choose to submit an unframed work, it will be strictly at your own risk. Methods of wall application (pins, adhesive) are likely to result in damage to the surface of the work. Submission without a frame gives permission to BALTIC to use these alternative methods where necessary.
• All works will be delivered in a condition to withstand handling by BALTIC staff and display to the public at BALTIC 39.
• Display of all works in the gallery will be decided by BALTIC Programme team.
• Artists will be responsible for delivering selected works for the installation of the exhibition and collecting at the end of the exhibition period. This will be explained in further detail to each participant closer to the time.
If you have any queries please e-mail email@example.com