BALTIC Centre for Contemporary Art creates and produces exhibitions, activities and opportunities that explore understanding of the world through diverse contemporary art by artists from across the world. Located on Gateshead quayside, we have 2,600 square metres of exhibition space dedicated to the art and artists of today and tomorrow.
We welcome visitors free of charge, all year round to experience art, talks, performance and activities in an accessible building. We have been visited by over 8 million since opening in July 2002. Beyond our bricks, BALTIC connects and exchange in an on-going basis with our local communities, individuals and groups exploring creativity, social connections and shared hospitality.
In early 2022 we became the first Gallery of Sanctuary in England, in recognition of our work to support forced migration communities in the North East.
- Read about our work with communities
- Read about how we are poverty proofing our organisation
- Read about BALTIC's history
- Visit BALTIC+ an online archive of exhibitions and events
- View BALTIC Accessibility Statement
- View BALTIC's Visitor Code of Conduct
- View BALTIC's Hate Crime/Hate Incident Policy
- View BALTIC Together: Safe Spaces Approach
Our mission is to create greater understanding of the world through outstanding, experimental and inspiring contemporary art which has power, relevance and meaning for individuals and communities.
- To commission and produce exhibitions, performances, public and learning programmes which champion the role of artists in contemporary society.
- To create environments and opportunities within and beyond BALTIC’s galleries where individuals and communities can explore different ways of seeing and thinking about the world by engaging with exceptional art and artists.
- To deeply root inclusivity and diversity in all our practices, processes and actions so we may better reflect and support our local, national and international communities.
- To devise and embed innovative research-engaged frameworks which support and encourage talent development of artists and future thinking through sustained collaboration, partnership and sector leadership.
- We value listening: A listening organisation is a relevant organisation. We create positive impact by understanding and responding to the needs and motivations of our audiences and communities.
- We value accountability: An accountable organisation is transparent and rigorous. We build trust by behaving with honesty and integrity.
- We value courage: A courageous organisation is bold and takes risks. We platform progressive and thought-provoking ideas and practices.
- We value equity: An equitable organisation values equality, inclusion and diversity. We champion equity and challenge racism and prejudice.
- We value sustainability: A sustainable organisational is resourceful and environmentally conscious. We are adaptable and operate with care, in order to meet the needs of a changing world.
BALTIC was founded with funding from The National Lottery through Arts Council England, Gateshead Council, Northern Rock Foundation, the European Regional Development Fund and One NorthEast. BALTIC gratefully acknowledges continued support from Arts Council England and Gateshead Council, and is a registered charity.