BALTIC Stars is a 3 year community schools project which celebrates young people’s creativity through contemporary art.
BALTIC Stars encourages children and young people to explore their creativity and recognise their talent, build self-esteem, learn new skills and unleash a sense of pride in their achievements and abilities.
Each school term, BALTIC engages two Special Educational Needs schools and Additionally Resourced Provisions within the North East to work with an artist and the gallery. Together we develop a bespoke and creative learning journey involving pupils and their families which compliments curriculum learning and encourages aspirational thinking.
BALTIC Centre for Contemporary Art is looking for six schools to take part in the 2017/18 BALTIC Stars programme, a free, artist-led opportunity for Special Educational Needs Schools in the North East. Each term, two SEN schools, or mainstream schools with an SEND provision, will become BALTIC Stars schools. This will include:
• A bespoke, specially-designed project, pupil-led and artist driven
• Six 2-hour artist-led workshops outside of school hours
• Visits to BALTIC with funded transport
• Creative ways of exploring the curriculum with activity that includes shared talking, making and creating
• Access to BALTIC’S innovative contemporary art Library and Archive within and beyond the gallery’s walls
• An exhibition of work in BALTIC’s Level 2 Quay Space
• An exhibition preview event
• Two BALTIC Stars Family Days with artist-led activities and special awards ceremony
• Free moderation and accreditation for either Discover, Explore, Bronze Arts or Silver Arts Award
• Future pathways into BALTIC’s Learning programme and engagement initiatives.
This project is fully funded by BBC Children in Need. No costs will be incurred by schools or families involved in BALTIC Stars.
Full programme information including how to become a BALTIC Stars school can be downloaded here.
For all enquiries, please contact: Leanne Alldred, BALTIC Learning and Engagement Assistant by email email@example.com or call 0191 4404 973